I went through all the budget 8×42 binoculars (less than $150.00) available at Amazon and selected only six models worth considering. The cheaper the models, the more difficult the decision. If you make a mistake in this price range, you could end up with a useless instrument, which will not be the case with the more expensive ones, so you have to be very careful what you’re doing.
The following three budget 8×42 binoculars are worth considering:
Budget range 8x42: $100 -$150
|MODEL||Bushnell Trophy 8x42||Bushnell Legend 8x42||Leupold Rogue 8x42|
|LINEAR FOV: ft/1000 YARDS||359.63||427.88||341.25|
|EYE RELIEF MM.||19||15||16.5|
|CLOSE FOCUS||3.6 m/11.81 ft||3.6 m/11.81 ft||8 m/26.25 ft|
|OPTICAL COATINGS||fully multi-coated||fully multi-coated||fully multi-coated|
|WEIGHT||765 gm/26.98 oz||680 gm/23.99 oz||666 gm/23.49 oz|
All three of these budget 8×42 binoculars have the following excellent features:
1. Optical glass: BaK-4 optical glass
2. Optical coatings: Fully multi-coated
3. Waterproof: All three
They are different in the following aspects:
1. FOV: The Busnhell Legend has by far the widest FOV.
2. Close focus: The close focus ability of the two Bushnells are the same and by far better than the Leupold’s.
3. Eye relief: The eye relief of the Bushnell Trophy is the best, but the eye relief of the other two is good enough for wearers of eyeglasses as well.
4. Fogproof (nitrogen filled): Only the Bushnells are fogproof.
5. Warranty: The Leupold has an incredible lifetime warranty.
6. Roof/porro: In this price range the two porros (Bushnell Legend and Leupold Rogue) will deliver clearer images than the roof (Bushnell Trophy).
7. Customers reviews: Only the Bushnell Legend Porro Prism 8×42 has customers reviews at Amazon: Five, and all five have given it a 5 star rating.
Although I would normally not recommend you buying a pair of binoculars for less than $100.00, the following three 8×42 binoculars offer great value considering the price:
Budget range 8x42: $50 -$100
|MODEL||Bushnell H20 8x42||Bushnell Legacy 8x42 WP||Alpen Optics Pro 8x42|
|LINEAR FOV: ft/1000 YARDS||427.86||427.86||427.86|
|EYE RELIEF MM.||17||18||16|
|CLOSE FOCUS||5.5 m/18.04 ft||3.6 m/11.81||2.8 m/9.19 ft|
|OPTICAL COATINGS||multi-coated||fully multi-coated||fully multi-coated|
|WEIGHT||770 gm/27.16 oz||751 gm/26.49 oz||850 gm/29.98 oz|
The Bushnell H2O 8×42 Waterproof/Fogproof Binocular (Porro)
is a very popular pair of binoculars. It has been reviewed by 111 customers, of which 60 gave it a 5 Star rating. It has BaK-4 prisms and the optical surfaces are multi-coated (fully multi-coated being the ideal). The fact that it is completely weatherproof (water- and fogproof: O-ring sealed and nitrogen-purged) is a bonus appreciated by many customers.
It is currently (Jauary 2011) trading at a discount of as much as 47%. Price (Jan. 2011): $59.65.
Alpen PRO 8×42 waterproof Binocular
This binocular also uses BaK4 optics and the coatings are fully multi-coated.
In this price class it has the closest close focus distance of 2.8 meter.
This binocular comes with a lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
Currently (January 2011) it is trading at a discount of 37% at $99.84.
Of these three the Bushnell H2O 8×42 Waterproof/Fogproof Binocular is by far the most popular and who can argue with 60 five star ratings given by satisfied customers?